... Of Death, Eulogies and Epitaphs

Death is quite a funny thing. Yeah people who are left behind in the world of the living are left griving, but I think it should be seen as the last big adventure of our lives. We're going somewhere else on a journey that no one else has lived to tell others about. Death is the one thing that makes our lives precious, the end marker of our alloted period on earth that motivates us into persuing greater things while we still can. Without death, our lives would hold little value and no meaning.

However, what I don't appreciate is that most of our sins are absolved upon the time of our death and only good things are said at our funerals. I knew someone who died recently who was quite a buggered asshole but even the people whom he had offended / pissed off / wronged had only the nicest things to say about him.

Admittedly it would be odd if someone went up and said "Yeah, I remember the time he buggered me up where the sun don't shine..." or engraved "Here lies So and So. Why he lived, I don't know" but I would have just said nothing at all instead of "Oh, he was the salt of the earth..." and all that. Maybe I'm just not as forgiving as some others but hey, I'm entitled to my opinions :)

Anyways, I think when it's time for our friends and loved ones to go, we should let them go rather than try to hold on to them. When I saw my grandfather in the ICU with 20 - 30 tubes stuck all over him a couple of years back, part of me was asking God to give him a few more years, but outwardly I whispered to him "If you feel it's time for you to go, please go and be at peace."

Not to say I was cold or anything, I was crying my eyes out but if I were in his position, I'd rather move on than to be artificially kept alive on tubes, respirators and more adrenaline than what's considered 'safe' under normal circumstances.

A word to any friends or family who sees entry, if by any chance I should be totally dependent on life support, do me the largest favor of my life and unplug me. Would it be euthanasia? No, because I would have been dead anyway without artificial life support. Besides, I don't want to wake up one day and learn that I need to have someone wipe my butt everyday.

Interesting websites:

Al Lowe's website. He was a game designer with Sierra for many years and best known for creating games such as Freddy Pharkas and the Leisure Suit Larry Series. Great place to visit for some laughs.

Sith Sense - Darth Vader attempts to read your mind.

Song of the day : Kaki King - Playing with Pink Noise
Kaki King's Official Website
Log in with Yahoo and watch her music video here

2 rambling visitors:

  Anonymous

6:14 PM, June 28, 2005

Hmm.....u should watch "the final cut" starring Robin Williams.

  Jerral

10:28 PM, June 28, 2005

Seen it. Damn cool concept :)